[Gllug] x server fail at boot

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Jun 13 13:51:00 UTC 2008

Diana Scott wrote:
> Hi
>
> My suse 10.3 's graphical interface x server fail to start at boot and i
> tried to log in as su but i couldn't go any further than linux -3z2c
> login .

Possibly because you were trying to log in as "su"?  You need to log in
as "root".

> I have tried to boot using fail safe and the dvd but couldn't
> any further than error message and linux 3z2c login.
>
> does that mean i have to reinstall the whole suse 10.3 including losing
> my data files ?

No.

The first and most important thing is to read the error messages and
report exactly what they say.  Only then can informed help be provided.

As someone else has suggested, once you've logged in as root you should
be able to run the SuSE configuration tool and fix your X configuration.

HTH
John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk