[Gllug] Anyone using Virgin Media?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sun Mar 2 10:05:37 UTC 2008

Caroline Ford wrote:
[snip]
> One problem is that everyone has negative stories about ISPs. I had
> dreadful problems with Demon (and they are still chasing me for money
> I don't owe), but others think they are the bees knees. I think
> Andrews and Arnold were great (but they still tried to charge me for a
> domain renewal for a cancelled line).

I used to think Demon were bad (their accounts department in particular
went completely feral in the period before I left them) but they pale
into insignificance compared to NTL.  No-one else came close to the
bind-boggling incompetence and arrogance of NTL.  It took me 6 months to
get them to cancel my service, using normal means (phone calls, letters,
recorded delivery letters, faxes, etc.) and I only succeeded when I got
Oftel involved.

It is of course possible that since NTL was re-branded as Virgin there
has been a root and branch re-structuring and all is now hunky, but it
would take an awful lot to persuade me to try them again.

I too would add recommendations for A&A or UKFSN - I have experience of
both and they're both fine.

Far too many people consider only price when making all sorts of
purchase selections.  I know I could buy my broadband for about 60% of
what I'm currently paying, but I couldn't get the quality of either
service or support.  It is well worth paying a sensible amount of money
(rather than the very cheapest you can find) for service that doesn't
have you tearing your hair out.  The option to talk to someone who knows
  the lower end of his humerus from his gluteus maximus is worth every
penny.

John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk