[Gllug] anyone used ovh.co.uk for hosting

Vidar Hokstad vidar at aardvarkmedia.co.uk
Fri Mar 7 17:42:03 UTC 2008

On 7 Mar 2008, at 16:58, Jason Clifford wrote:
> They are offering a service for substantially less than it costs to
> provide it.
>
> These days racking a server in a decent colo centre tends to cost
> about
> £60 per Amp. Even using the crappiest servers available the server
> itself will cost them about £250 based upon that configuration.
> Bandwidth costs money to provide - even if they have peering and don't
> pay for transit things like routers, membership of peering exchanges,
> etc costs money. It costs a lot of money to employ the staff to manage
> all of this and support you.
>
> How much of that do you think £15 a month covers?

Looking at our hosting costs, a half depth 1U server cost us about £10/
month
to host including power in one of the higher quality colos in London,
assuming
it's a reasonably low powered server. That's with renting space by the
rack.

If you rent a suite and go to a cheaper colo outside London you can
easily
bring that well below £10/month per server. If the servers are low
enough
power you can cut the cost even just by increasing the density
significantly.
I'd no be surprised if you could bring the colo costs including power
down to
£5/month.

It'd still be hard to make a profit on those plans, though, once you
add in
hardware costs and bandwidth. I'd be worried it'd be cheap, low quality
hardware and a lot of contention for relatively little bandwidth.

I'd think at that price going for a Xen or OpenVZ hosting provider
would be
likely to get better performance and more bandwidth.

Vidar

--
Vidar Hokstad
Technical Director