[Gllug] Firefox 3

Rob Crowther robertc at boogdesign.com
Thu May 29 10:07:23 UTC 2008

Peter Childs wrote:
> My Users say its slow and the new drop down location list is too large
> and does not show them what they expect.

Now I've been using Firefox 3 regularly at work for a few weeks, I find
the location bar on my home PC, which is still on 2, is quite limited.

> The Web seams to say its faster, But from what I've heard from real
> people this is not true (mind you speed is more of a feeling than a reality)

I've got multiple versions installed side by side on my machine for web
development purposes, and in loading and rendering web pages Firefox 3
is visibly faster.  The improved memory handling also means it stays
fast for much longer than the older version, particularly if you tend to
use a lot of JS heavy sites.

There are definitely issues with some extensions, I had repeated crashes
with Firebug enabled for example.  They are now getting resolved quite
quickly since RC1 came out, but for some of them you'll have to use the
beta or development versions of extensions.

Rob
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk