[Gllug] Linux equivalent of OS X filesystem Directory

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 19 12:22:53 UTC 2008

2008/11/19 - Tethys <tethys at gmail.com>

> Be careful here. There are likely to be people reading this list that
> will see that and think "I want better performance from my
> filesystem", and think about using ResierFS. Don't get me wrong, Hans
> had some nice ideas, but wasn't able to implement them in a reliable
> way[1]. To clarify: ReiserFS is good for losing your data. Nothing
> more. Avoid it at all costs.

ReiserFS was recommended ofr filesystems with lots of small files - such as
mail servers.
I remember using it on the SuSE mail server which I put in at the Framestore
yonks ago now - as you say it
was the recommended filesystem for SuSE.
And indeed at my last company older systems had been installed with some big
RAID setups with Reiser.

I had a trip up to Aberdeen to spend a joyful day at an oil company where a
filesystem had gone, using lots of nice low-level ReiserFS tools to try to
repair it. Truth be told though in this case it wouldn't have mattered if it
was Reiser, ext99 or FAT32 - you get a dual disk failure and data is toast.

Wouldn't touch it with a long bargepole these days.
XFS is of course the way to go (can you tell I like SGI kit?)