[Gllug] Ubuntu and me - suggestions requested (polite ones please)

James Roberts jr at stabilys.com
Thu Nov 13 00:39:27 UTC 2008

A question. I keep trying out Ubuntu because I can't believe that my
experience is going to be as bad as the last time I tried it.

I've been using Linux since early Slack and have managed to get most
distros going over the years: I use Debian generally but quite a lot of
CentOS too, plus DSL and a few others but am familiar with many.

However every time I try Ubuntu it either:

- does not install
- installs and fails as soon as I change the configuration in any way
- installs and works, but fails after a minor update and never works
again (this happens every time I do a desktop install).

Is it me? It *can't* be like this for everyone else can it? Impossible!

Latest example: I wanted a 64-bit host for testing VMWare Server 2 (ESXi
is sucky with DAS).

So I grabbed latest Ubuntu 8.10 server, tested CD, tested memory and
attempted install on two small new server-class machines:

1. HP ML350 G5 new quad Xeon 5 GB e200i with BBC

2. Dell SC 440 Dual Xeon SATA NVidia RAID controller (not used)

On (1) Ubuntu identified the SAS array controller as a SATA controller,
but fair enough the controller supports both.

However after an apparently successful install it fell over on reboot as
it had not installed grub to an actual partition on the RAID array. I
don't know what it did with it.

On (2) about half way through the install it requested a media change
and part ejected the cd-rom and would not remount it whatever I tried.

So I grabbed a net install Debian Etch and it installed perfectly first
time on both.

I appreciate that all this could have been fixed, but don't see why I
should have to fix it.

I'm honestly not knocking Ubuntu here, I just don't understand what is
going wrong, and want to know if am suffering existential or
philosophical incompatibility with Ubuntu (aka is it just me?) or do
other people find similar issues? And is there anything that can be done
about it?

TIA

MeJ
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk