[Gllug] Ubuntu and me - suggestions requested (polite ones please)

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 01:20:28 UTC 2008

--------

James Roberts writes:

>However every time I try Ubuntu it either:
>
>- does not install
>- installs and fails as soon as I change the configuration in any way
>- installs and works, but fails after a minor update and never works
>again (this happens every time I do a desktop install).
>
>Is it me? It *can't* be like this for everyone else can it? Impossible!

That's pretty representative of my experiences, too. To be fair to
Ubuntu, Fedora 9 is pretty much the same. I haven't yet found a
machine that either of them will install on out of the box. The
only difference is that I've been able to get Fedora working with
a bit of tweaking, which I haven't been able to do sensibly for
Ubuntu. The standard of Linux distributions is very definitely
deteriorating. I too can't believe it's like this for everyone.
But I have a large enough set of sample data to know that the
problem is real, and serious.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk