[Gllug] Linux equivalent of OS X filesystem Directory

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 11:52:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at workshy.org> wrote:

> Linux offers you a range of filesystems that you could use; some are
> better for working with large files (e.g. XFS), some offer fast
> performance with lots of small files (ReiserFS), almost all are more
> stable than what you typically see with OSX.

Be careful here. There are likely to be people reading this list that
will see that and think "I want better performance from my
filesystem", and think about using ResierFS. Don't get me wrong, Hans
had some nice ideas, but wasn't able to implement them in a reliable
way[1]. To clarify: ReiserFS is good for losing your data. Nothing
more. Avoid it at all costs.

Tet

[1] My jaw dropped when SuSE made it their default filesystem a while
back (along with a number of professional filesystem hackers I know)

--
Perl is like vise grips. You can do anything with it but it is the
wrong tool for every job. -- Bruce Eckel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk