[Gllug] Ubuntu and me - suggestions requested (polite ones please)

Ryan Cartwright r.cartwright at equitasit.co.uk
Fri Nov 14 00:13:28 UTC 2008

2008/11/13 - Tethys <tethys at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>> Everyone uses the codename.
>>
>> [citation required]
>
> Errr.... no. This is the GLLUG mailing list, not Wikipedia. Personal
> observation is more than sufficient, and my personal observation says
> that everyone (both those I've encountered in person, and those I've
> come across online) uses the codename.

I'm a Debian user of some years and been around various lists and
groups of Debian users. I have to agree with Tet on this one - sort
of. The pedant in me says that it's not going to be "everyone" but
certainly _most_ people I've encountered refer to sid, lenny, sarge
etc. At worst I've heard them refer to stable, testing or unstable but
rarely if ever 3 or 4 etc. In fact the only time in recent years I've
seen somebody use the version number was in a newbie forum post. They
referred to using Debian 4 and I had to stop and think which release
that was. But in the end I don't think it matters that much what you
refer to it as as long as its consistent.

cheers
--
Ryan Cartwright
Equitas IT Solutions