[Gllug] Ubuntu and me - suggestions requested (polite ones please)

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 14 10:14:47 UTC 2008

Ryan Cartwright wrote:

>>> [citation required]
>>>
>> Errr.... no. This is the GLLUG mailing list, not Wikipedia. Personal
>> observation is more than sufficient, and my personal observation says
>> that everyone (both those I've encountered in person, and those I've
>> come across online) uses the codename.
>>

> I'm a Debian user of some years and been around various lists and
> groups of Debian users. I have to agree with Tet on this one - sort
> of. The pedant in me says that it's not going to be "everyone" but
> certainly _most_ people I've encountered refer to sid, lenny, sarge
> etc. At worst I've heard them refer to stable, testing or unstable but
> rarely if ever 3 or 4 etc.

I've also been a debian user of some years and have to say that I knew
what the code version mappings were, but really who cares?

If you want a stable distro, use the stable branch, that name never
changes. If you want a newer, use Testing branch and if you want
Bleeding Edge but may break use Unstable.

I'm not sure that the numbers and codenames are all that important.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
Always open to interesting opportunities

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk