[Gllug] ethernet -> serial converters

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Oct 22 13:41:40 UTC 2008

Hi,

a customer of mine has a few serial printers (impact for multi part paper) and a few
wyse60 (or something) serial terminals. At some stage they are going to want to talk
to these over the Internet (when I do server consolidation).

If it were not for the remote sites I might have put a serial card into the server,
but that won't work with remote (other end of country) sites, I could push it over
their VPN.

I have been looking at serial -> ethernet converters. Does anyone have any experience
with these ? Are they reliable ? Do they play nicely with cups ?
They claim to do reverse telnet, anyone seen it work  -- I would want to get a login prompt to the
wyse that way ?

I will be installing CentOS (== RedHat enterprise).

	http://www.perle.com/products/IOLAN-DS-Terminal-Server.shtml
	http://www.barcode-manufacturer.com/serial-ethernet/

--
Alain Williams