[Gllug] Ubuntu, Fedora pains

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Fri Apr 10 10:12:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 09:57:58AM +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:
> All fine, except for the pain that is NetworkManager - yes, please
> ignore my standard network settings and try your own after I log in
> (presumably all the youngsters change their CAT5 cabled IP address with
> their user accounts nowadays).

[snip]

> Well, doesn't take long to download an ISO - have a quick look at Fedora
> 10, I started off with RedHat back in the 5.x days. Aha! Display seems
> faster, but tricky to get the dual monitor setup I want because
> xorg.conf seems to have vanished. Google around a bit - done.
>
> NetworkManager still just as annoying, and Sun's java doesn't seem to be
> in the standard repos. Still - otherwise it all seems fine. Several
> months of bugfixes too, so that's good.

In Fedora 10, NetworkManager is able to configure itself based off
your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-XXX files. So if you have
those configured, then NM should automatically bring up eth0 wired
interface as the system boots, with no need for you to login. It
can in fact also do this for wifi interfaces too, if you configure
its 'keyfile' plugin to makes the WEP/WPA keys available. This is
not well documented, but there's some useful threads on the fedora
forums about it.

Daniel
--
|: http://berrange.com/     -o-    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|