[Gllug] virgin/ntl/telewest plonkers

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Wed Dec 16 20:56:14 UTC 2009

There is, of course, no need to use your ISP to provide DNS service for your
domain.  I believe there are providers who can do this for you regardless
of who actually 'owns' your IP address.

For example, we have three separate ADSL circuits from completely different
ISPs, but the domain name service is provided by just one of them.

You don't actually need a reverse DNS entry for email to work.  However
(from memory - so may recall this incorrectly) some mail-exchangers check
for a reverse DNS entry (match it against your smtp 'helo' ?) and will reject
your emails if no entry found.

Tim
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk