[Gllug] VACANCY: MySQL Database Architect (Reading, Berkshire, UK)

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 12 11:23:04 UTC 2009

Dan Kolb wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:39:32AM +0000, Hari Sekhon wrote:
>
>> I always wonder why companies bother setting up in far flung places like
>> Reading and then wonder or complain about getting talent, when they know
>> they should have set up camp in London instead... <sigh>
>>

> Ever been on the train line going to Reading? You pass, amongst other things,
> Oracle's buildings. And they are rather large. Getting the same sized buildings
> in central London would cost approximately half the company's worth.
>
> Dan

Yes I know, but there is a lot of office space around London that
doesn't have to be half way to another town, Croydon in Greater London,
for example, has lots of office space and frequent express trains to
Clapham Junction, Victoria, London Bridge with only 10-20 mins journey
time, so it's the next best thing to zone 1 Central London. Maybe this
is why Nestle have their UK headquarters there, the Home Office is there
as well..

Rackspace is off past Heathrow and the travel is terrible, which is why
they are constantly struggling to find good engineers, a good example of
how going off to places too far out or without convenient travel makes
recruitment difficult on an ongoing basis.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
Always open to interesting opportunities

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk