[Gllug] Budget desktops

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Thu Feb 26 23:48:10 UTC 2009

On Thursday 26 February 2009, Alistair Mann wrote:
> Dylan wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > So, where is good for bare-bones at the moment and what
> > recommendations/caveats would anyone offer?
>
> 250 without VDU is hardly a budget desktop, more like a mid-range one...

Maybe I can lower the budget then.

> You can buy bog standard Dell desktops off ebay for 150 /at most/

Are these new, boxed machines?

> -- I
> recently bought two Dimension 4600s for 100 quid the pair. If you want
> to touch the (second hand) goods up, visit Stratford computer fair (each
> Saturday); or all-week have a look at the Queensway computer market. For
>   both I recommend you have a specific list of things you want to see
> working in mind; haggling is not only accepted, it appears to be
> expected. If you want a guarantee as well, scope out TCR. Also have a
> look at Morgan Computers up the New Oxford Street.

I'm planning a trip to TCR when I've got enough of an idea what I'm after, but
I'm not going second hand - there's a dozen various boxen and museum pieces
in the cellar awaiting playing with. Sometimes you just need a shiny new toy!

Dx

--
“ ‘... but there is so much else behind what I say. It makes itself known to
me so slowly, so incompletely! ...’ ”
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk