[Gllug] Budget desktops

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Thu Feb 26 23:34:36 UTC 2009

Dylan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for a budget desktop so figured I'd survey the opinions here. It
> will be used for general web browsing, email, IM and listening to music and
> watching DVDs so it doesn't need to be a racing thoroughbread. I'm not
> concerned about sound (have card to put in) but am pretty out of the loop wrt
> graphics and processors at the moment. I understand there are some dodgy HDs
> around too. I'm looking to spend around £250 inc HD and memory, but don't
> need monitor or keyboard/mouse.
>
> So, where is good for bare-bones at the moment and what
> recommendations/caveats would anyone offer?

250 without VDU is hardly a budget desktop, more like a mid-range one...

You can buy bog standard Dell desktops off ebay for 150 /at most/ -- I
recently bought two Dimension 4600s for 100 quid the pair. If you want
to touch the (second hand) goods up, visit Stratford computer fair (each
Saturday); or all-week have a look at the Queensway computer market. For
  both I recommend you have a specific list of things you want to see
working in mind; haggling is not only accepted, it appears to be
expected. If you want a guarantee as well, scope out TCR. Also have a
look at Morgan Computers up the New Oxford Street.

Cheers,
--
Alistair Mann

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk