[Gllug] Perl - was: Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Tue Feb 10 10:26:37 UTC 2009

Jose Luis Martinez wrote:

> What I have seen out in the field is that people have a perception
> that Perl lends itself more easily to create unmaintainable code.

And when you look at the Perl code of some popular programs (awstats,
majordomo, any of Matt Wright's scripts) it's not hard to see how that
perception arose.

The problem seems to be that Perl was so popular in the 90s that almost
everyone was using it to write useful programs - even people who hadn't
taken the time to learn how to use Perl well.

And, of course, writing decent Perl has got easier as the syntax has
changed and better modules have appeared on CPAN.

If you're interested in promoting "modern Perl" then see
http://www.modernperlbooks.com/ or http://www.enlightenedperl.org/.

Dave...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk