[Gllug] Cost of RedHat vs Ubuntu desktop support

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 7 14:34:39 UTC 2009

Peter Corlett wrote:
> Here's some feedback, from three professional system administrators:
>
>> <snip>
>> * "Upstream has dropped support for this version, so we can't help you"
>>   (Say fucking *what*?  You ship this version, and you purport to provide
>>   support for what you ship, so I don't give a blind flying fuck what
>>   upstream's doing)
>>
> [...]
>
> Would the Red Hat shills on this list like to comment on why Red Hat was
> apparently going out of their way to avoid providing support to these paying
> customer?

lol.

To be fair, it would be hard to support with any level of deep expertise
the several hundred or thousand packages that are part of a Linux
distribution. I'd expect core or mainstream packages to be very well
catered for, but there are sooo many different things that run on linux
these days...

I'm not sure how successful a strategy it would be for them or any
company to try to support every fringe case or dead donkey, there may
have to be some reasonable times when you cannot or should not fix
everything. Haven't you come across something in all your years you
couldn't fix (usually something for which you don't have the source code
for or the will to waste a year digging around inside the code of?)

If you've got a dead donkey, a good question is why did you bet on using
a dead donkey? If it's dead, migrate off it asap and stop wasting your
time on it.

Speaking of the package that's no longer supported by it's creators, not
calling Redhat a donkey or anything.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon