[Gllug] Domain registrars

Geoff Wright geoff at xp3.co.uk
Tue Jul 28 20:14:33 UTC 2009

Peter Corlett (abuse at cabal.org.uk) said : Re: Re: [Gllug] Domain registrars
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:39:34PM +0100, Andy Millar wrote:
> [...]
> > Are we aware if that is an annual charge, or an one off fee?
> > I can't seem to find anything definitive on the site.
>
> It's ?80 + VAT to renew the domain, which needs to be done every two years.
>
> The price is deliberately set high to discourage end-users from dealing
> directly with Nominet. Tagholders pay ?5 + VAT for the same service.

Nominet dont't want anyone going direct, but it was deemed necessary to
allow people to do so, while making it so expensive to make it clear
they weren't trying to compete with the membership. No one should have
domains on a Nominet tag, it's expensive and slow to get anything
changed. Requesting changes is done by fax or letter and if there is any
doubt about the registrant it'll be even more trouble.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk