[Gllug] here we go again... (was: Light weight GUI for Linux)

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Jun 24 08:48:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 09:32:20AM +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> On Wed, June 24, 2009 6:54 am, Andy Millar wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-06-24 at 06:43 +0100, Phil Reynolds wrote:
> >> (b) on a certain newsgroup, when my response is to a message by a
> >> particular user who has a screenreader not designed to handle
> >> conventionally constructed followups.
> >
> > Sadly this also includes a lot of mobile email devices.
> >
> The reality of the commercial (at least non-tech) world is that top
> posting is the norm.
>
> The tendency to bottom post is strong in me - I sent my first emails in
> 1984 and bottom posting was the natural thing to do then and now afaiac
> but it does mark me down as an eccentric user to many and, on occassion,
> has led to the complaint that I have just replied to people by sending
> them back their original.
>
> By the way, if your response to this is to say "just change the culture of
> the company" then you need to get out more.

We (including me) winge about this often enough ... what can we do about it.

The problem is that it takes more than 10 seconds to explain why top posting
is undesirable by which most people have got bored and stopped listening.
Top posting is just a part of Nettiquette - which is more than a quarter of
a century old.

The truth is that Nettiquette could save huge amounts of corporate time.

The other truth is that most people could not care, because it save other
people's time - not their own.

Would it be worth us trying to put together one side of A4 that might convince
people to change their habits ?

Below are a few of the references that I have collected & occasionally
send to people:
****
A Because it disrupts the logical flow of a conversation
Q Why is top posting bad?

http://workalone.co.uk/node/15

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt	Netiquette Guidelines

Nice with references: