[Gllug] VirginMedia or Urban Wi-Max experiences

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Mar 5 16:03:57 UTC 2009

On 5 Mar 2009, at 12:08, Dylan wrote:
[...]
> The situation here is as follows:
> All providers (other than Virgin) require an extant BT line, even
> though there are several LLU providers available. Since there is not
> currently a line to the flat, that means there is no choice but to
> take out a minimum 12month BT connection (including a phone which I
> don't want/will never use.) BT tell me they will connect the
> property without a subscription to their service(s) but that will
> incur the full callout cost of the engineer and they can't tell me
> the phone number without a service contract so LLU providers can't
> identify the line ...

Any half-decent LLU provider should be able to arrange for the line to
be installed too. WebTapestry offered it me as an option, to avoid the
usual delays in getting broadband up and running on an existing line.

As it is, I've gone with asking them to identify and activate the
existing line and then drop broadband on it. No need to involve BT at
all, not even to find the number. (Which is just as well, as the line
doesn't actually appear to *have* a number.)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk