[Gllug] VirginMedia or Urban Wi-Max experiences

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Thu Mar 5 16:22:02 UTC 2009

On Thu Mar  5 10:41 , John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> sent:

>David Damerell wrote:
>[snip[
>> This seems a good place to ask. When I moved in at my current place,
>> it was already set up for Virgin (ex-NTL area, not ex-Telewest); I
>> telecommute, so I couldn't risk an interruption in connectivity and
>> having to go into the office or to friends' houses while also trying
>> to move house, so I stuck with them.
>>
>> However, the end of the 12-month contract is in sight, and obviously I
>> want to ditch them. Any advice on how best to transition to an ADSL
>> provider without interruptions?
>
>Since an ADSL offering will come by way of a telephone line the simple
>answer is that you get the ADSL installed and working, then terminate
>the Virgin connection.  There's nothing to stop them both being there at
>the same time.
>
>John

Also, Since you say you cannot do without it, if you have Virgin TV you can
usually get a minimal internet package for practically nothing (~10 quid a
month??).  Might be worth keeping this going as a backup to the DSL.  That way
you shouldn't be down longer than it takes to swap a cable and reboot a router...
or you can put in your own router (think smoothwall) and load balance across the
two connections.

Andy Farnsworth
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk