[Gllug] wireless setup

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Sun Mar 8 19:59:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 05:19:39PM +0000, Diana wrote:

> I have used  sudo apt-get install wpagui to install wpagui and also used sudo gedit /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf to find and enter the password.
>
> When I used  wpa_gui
> Failed to open control connection to wpa_supplicant.
> PING failed - trying to reconnect
> PING failed - trying to reconnect
> PING failed - trying to reconnect
> PING failed - trying to reconnect
> PING failed - trying to reconnect
> PING failed - trying to reconnect
>
> A box came up said "could not get status from wpa_supplicant and all
> the spaces under surrent status for adopters, network , ssid , ip
> address are blanked out.
>
> Do you know what have I done wrong ?

I think what you have done wrong is edit the wpa_supplicant config file
directly, without enough knowledge of it.  There are a lot of parameters
you can tweak and get wrong, if you are not careful.  My advice was to
use one of the GUI tools that act as a front-end to wpa_supplicant; they
will take the basic details you give them (wpa2, private key, ssid) and
try a succession of different wpa_supplicant configurations until
something works.  My adice to you *now* is to undo the changes you made
to wpa_supplicant.conf and try one of those helper utilities.

--
Bruce