[Gllug] how safe is linux against identity thief

Paul Lee paul at ma1.se
Wed Mar 25 08:55:53 UTC 2009

Nix wrote:
> On 25 Mar 2009, Tethys outgrape:
>
>> Nix writes:
>>
>>> It is very unlikely that any Linux distro these days (or for the last
>>> half-decade or so) doesn't come with an iptables firewall set up by
>>> default upon installation.
>> Welcome to the wonderful world of Ubuntu. Sigh...
>
> What, it has no config option in the installer to set up a firewall?
> Even debian-installer has one of those...

Good point. I've done three installs of Xbuntu and not encountered a
firewall configuration option.

However there are six graphical firewall tools you can install from the
synapsis front end, once the OS is installed.

The default firewall tool for Ubuntu is UFW but by default its disabled:

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/firewall.html

sudo ufw enable

Paul
www.ma1.se