[Gllug] VirginMedia or Urban Wi-Max experiences

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Thu Mar 5 12:45:32 UTC 2009

Dylan wrote:
> On Thursday 05 March 2009, John Winters wrote:
>
>> but ask yourself *why* you want one of
>> the big providers.  It almost inevitably means you'll get worse service.
>
> The situation here is as follows:
> All providers (other than Virgin) require an extant BT line, even though there
> are several LLU providers available. Since there is not currently a line to
> the flat, that means there is no choice but to take out a minimum 12month BT
> connection (including a phone which I don't want/will never use.)

If I read you (& BTs website) right, you seem to be averse just to
paying BT GBP-10.27 a month for line rental; The call packages are
GBP-0.00 per month, and I can't imagine you're suggesting someone else
(ie, every other customer) bear the cost of actually laying the line to
your new place. The cheapest 'other' co offering line rental in my part
of North London is at GB-9.74, so were you here, we're talking about you
paying 53 pence more per month for 12 months -- ie, GBP-6.36. I think I
just wasted that in salary!

GBP-6.36 more for 12 months of someone to fix it when the line comes
down hardly seems like a problem to me, particularly if it guarantees
that someone is not employed by TalkTalk.

 > BT tell me
 > they will connect the property without a subscription to their
 > service(s) but
 > that will incur the full callout cost of the engineer and they can't
 > tell me
 > the phone number without a service contract so LLU providers can't
 > identify
 > the line ...

How could LLU providers "identify the line" when just above you've
written "Since there is not currently a line to the flat ..."? No line,
no number, surely? Have I completely misunderstood you here?

Cheers,
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk