[Gllug] Desktops with preinstalled linux

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Wed Nov 25 11:45:59 UTC 2009

Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 02:25 +0000, general_email at technicalbloke.com
> wrote:
>

>> Although I'm sure Brasero will be robust and feature complete someday I
>> ended up buying Nero a few weeks back for exactly that reason, I had
>> work to do that day!
>>

> I find k3b to be robust and feature-complete, and can actually do rather
> more than Nero can.

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, I did use k3b on Hardy but I found it a bit flaky under Jaunty &
KDE apps on gnome get on my wick at the best of time - file dialogs / my
shortcuts / hello!

>> Or maybe I've just missed it and you all know... Are there any UK online
>> shops (or central london shops) that sell components and peripherals
>> that are known to work well with linux?
>>

> Not that I know of.

Hmm, maybe I should open one then! I'm pretty sure some people would pay
a premium to be well assured of compatibility, I know I would.

>> I've been told kodak don't work at all, and that HP work great, but I
>> can't find bargain ink for them anywhere.
>>

> I buy ink in bulk by mail order - it's the most sensible way - but (if
> you must) any branch of "Cartridge World" will stock very cheap HP
> compatible cartridges.

Really? Haven't looked at Cartridge World specifically (yet!) but from
looking at a bunch of site/catalogs I can see 3rd party HP carts are
generally around the £13/cart mark while 3rd party Epson & Canon are
around £2/cart. That's a hell of a difference.

> Canon specifically and deliberately don't support Linux, though they do
> now provide some (very limited) drivers,  as even they have realised
> that they're losing market share.  There are third-party drivers
> available for all the Canon models, but they're proprietary, paid-for
> ones - "Turboprint" and "Gutenberg" spring to mind.

Wow, I didn't know there was a commercial driver scene, interesting. I
shall be steering clear of them
. Anyone have much joy with Epson all-in-ones on linux then? The last
one I had of theirs (back in the XP days) was a great bit of kit.

> The HP "all-in-one" beneath my desk at the moment is a PSC2355, which is
> the best I've found - it's cheap to use, scans very well (Sane has no
> problem with it at all), has pretty good print quality and is small and
> neat enough to fit unobtrusively in my very small home office.

Yep, HP are the daddy when it comes to printing, no doubt - it's just
the ink price thing... I could handle them being 50% more than everyone
else, maybe even double but they seem to be an order of magnitude more
expensive :/ I'll double check that though.

Cheers,

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk