[Gllug] To encrypt or not to encrypt . . . at install time?

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Mon Nov 30 20:49:31 UTC 2009

On Monday 30 November 2009, Justin Perreault wrote:
> So that has raised the question do I encrypt the system at install time
> or pursue encryption after the install?

It's much easier to do it at install time, but remember that you'll need to
enter the key for each encrypted partition each time the machine boots - I
have the /home partition on my laptop encrypted, but not the system itself (I
used to, but entering two keys was a PITA and then there were troubles when
it came time to use a boot disk for maintenance ...)

Dx

--
“ ‘... but there is so much else behind what I say. It makes itself known to
me so slowly, so incompletely! ...’ ”
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk