[Gllug] Take a look at my photos on Facebook

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Thu Nov 5 12:05:28 UTC 2009

JLMS wrote:

>>> That doesn't make sense...
>> Yes it does, banging on about the EU directive is just stupid its like
>> school playground tactics "Miss miss its not fair they wont let me kick
>> the ball, make em stop wearing them Nike boots then maybe I've got a chance"
>
> Sorry, but that is a bad analogy.

No its not its a very good analogy I and every Linux user 'thinks' they
know what the directive was about. On the surface its about what you
state but the real reason is as I stated in my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong
but a lot of people smarter than me seem to think I'm right.

Why the hell would a Linux user care if the browser is embedded or not
in a competitors product? Most of the people I know in the community
would say using Windows XP, Vista or 7 with a whole host of OSS apps
would still make you a an MS user so if that's true it would not matter
if they ripped out the browser, desktop, file system gave all the code
secrets the community would still find something else to bitch about
because its so easy to moan its harder to put your nose to the grind stone.

Just get on with it for gods sake, if everyone put the same effort into
Linux as they do into trying to find fault with MS then Microsoft would
be in 3rd place tomorrow and I wouldn't have to listen to "Is this the
year of the Linux desktop" like I've had to for the last 7 odd years.

> Microsoft was found to be abusing (yet again) their dominant position
> in the market.

Maybe, I don't know and to be honest don't care, what I do know is up
until 10 years ago nobody moaned about Microsoft in fact everybody loved
them. OK there was not much choice and not many people understood the
technology but nobody said "Hang on these people are dominating the
market, everywhere you go its MS machines" no everyone bent over
backwards to get them on board but now its "Ooh evil MS you spawn of Satan".

> You may not like it, but the EU body charged with investigating these
> matters reached that conclusion after quite an exhaustive (some would
> say slow) investigation in the matter.
>
> If what you are suggesting is that Microsoft should be treated lightly
> fine, but lets not pretend there is no issue to be redressed here.

I'm saying unless MS bring a court case against, erm, Red Hat etc who
cares? Well actually a lot care but I don't. My view is if you use
Windows fine, if you use Linux Brilliant if you use Mac seek help :-)
Bwahaha

--
Regards

Peter Cannon