[Gllug] EEE issues

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Nov 16 21:47:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 08:26:10PM +0100, Frazer Irving wrote:

> I may be stretching the geographical limits of this list, but I am currently
> living in Morocco with a EEE PC and have run into some issues I hoped I
> might find answers to here.
>
> Primarily the box is used for me to play around with dynamic language MVC
> frameworks such as Rails and Catalyst etc. The machine has the default
> Xandros OS installed which is causing me troubles. I have downloaded a copy
> of eeebuntu which I hope will give me a better platform to install various
> ruby gems and cpan modules, but the image is an .iso and the only external
> media is the flash disk built into the system So my first question, is it
> possible to convert the iso to an image that can be written to the flash
> disk using dd (I have successfully written the debian EEE OS image this way,
> but the tools provided are too meager for my purposes). Otherwise I will
> probably buy a USB DVD burner.

I wiped my EEE a few months ago and installed standard Ubuntu, it worked very
well. I installed it by booting off a USB attached CD drive. This is prob
the easiest way. I have convered an ISO to a flash disk, but can't remember
how I did it.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/