[Gllug] To encrypt or not to encrypt . . . at install time?

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Nov 30 20:37:44 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 07:55:55PM +0000, Justin Perreault wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have started to update my systems to various latest and greatest and
> have just been asked by the installer, Encrypt System? I do want to
> encrypt at least part of the system.
>
> So that has raised the question do I encrypt the system at install time
> or pursue encryption after the install?
>
> I am using F12 and will continue to research the internet for encryption
> pitfalls to be aware of.

If it's a physical machine (not a VM), then I would recommend you
enable encryption in the installer.  Enabling it later is a royal pain
in the rear.

Reasons you might *not* encrypt:

(1) Your processor is really slow (and I mean, original-Pentium-slow).

(2) It's for a server which needs every last drop of CPU or I/O
performance.  Databases, high performance webserver and file servers,
that sort of thing.

(3) You live life in the open.  ("Down at the nudist colony someone
could steal my credit card out of my pants when I leave them at the
door - so what do I need encryption on my laptop for?")

(4) You live in a nuclear bunker on a remote island and if anyone came
within 5 miles you'd shoot them, _no_ exceptions.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat