[Gllug] TV ExpressCard/USB - any recommendations/avoids?

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Thu Nov 19 11:37:13 UTC 2009

On Thu 19 Nov, Peter Corlett wrote:

> I can't speak for off-air signals since I don't actually watch TV, but
> the 1080p TV I acquired a while back wipes the floor with the grubby
> old raster gun it replaced. It's got a high enough resolution that
> it's practical to use it as a computer monitor, for a start. And the
> headache-inducing 50Hz flicker is no more!
>
> CRTs are not a technology I will ever be nostalgic for.

   CRTs designed for 50Hz operation have a longer persistence phosphor, but
very few modern CRTs are designed to run that slowly. There is a focus
control for the CRT, but it is often hidden from the normal user. Howeever
driving the electron gun(s) harder as the tube ages, or to get higher
brightness output, does increase the real dot size.
   As usual, most were sold by price, not quality.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk