[Gllug] ebook readers for technical books

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 21 11:59:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Sean Burlington
<sean at practicalweb.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I notice that the ebook competition seems to be hotting up at the
> moment with Kindle becoming available in the UK - and Barnes & Noble
> releasing a new reader.
>
> Is there anything out yet that's good for reading technical books in PDF
> format?
>
> It's not worth it to me if all I can read on them is novels - but if I can
> use one for work that's a different story.
>
> The Illiad looks good - but expensive and still a touch small...

I would stick to "older" technology (netbooks, specially earlier ones,
Nokia tablets) because what these book readers have in common is to be
a PITA when it comes to how you handle your books (the DRM encumbrance
is quite annoying, read about the 1984 Amazon debacle for an example).

I played a bit with the Sony reader and was unimpressed, it felt
cumbersome and very impractical.

Now that there are editorials out there that distribute technical
books without all the DRM nonsense I don't want to encourage the
companies peddling cripple-ware to read books.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk