[Gllug] emulating a pendrive

Carles Pina i Estany carles at pina.cat
Sun Oct 18 20:04:45 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Oct/13/2009, Richard Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 04:35:31AM +0200, salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have dvd player which is able to play mp3's, show photos, etc. from
> > files which are stored on a pendrive.
> >
> > Today I came up with the idea that I might be able to connect my (linux)
> > desktop machine to the dvd player via a usb cable, and have the linux
> > machine appear like a giant pendrive to the dvd player.
> >
> > Is this possible, and if so, is there some existing software which will
> > allow me to do this ?
>
> You should note that there are two sides to a USB connection (called
> "master" and "slave").  In the usual configuration, a USB mass storage
> device is a slave, and your PC (or DVD drive) is the master.

On summer 2006 I worked with a project where I used, if I recall
correctly, the NetChip net2280.

It's a PCI card that was acting a USB slave. I don't remember how much
it cost to me, I think that about 80 or 90 pounds? . Linux recognised
and I used to emulate a USB serial device, but I did some tests to use
it as a USB mass storage and worked fine. Other computers was seeing my
Linux box as one pendrive (even Windows, without problems).

--
Carles Pina i Estany
	http://pinux.info
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk