[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sun Sep 6 20:50:44 UTC 2009

On 6 Sep 2009, at 21:08, James Laver wrote:
[...]
> Of the people I know with genuine, real clue, about half of them have
> degrees.

How do you know whether or not those people do or do not have degrees?
Many people assume I have a degree, for example.

> Attending lectures for 3 years does not make you good with
> computers, especially in these days when we have widely available
> internet resources for people to learn from.

I'm not sure that Wikipedia is a substitute for a well-structured
programme of learning :)

> On the other hand I'm
> interested as to what percentage of people with clue are more inclined
> to take a degree (coming at it from the other angle).

People with Clue are likely to take on any challenge which interests
them, including obtaining a degree. However, a CS degree isn't likely
to be much fun for somebody who is already in the industry, as they'll
have advanced beyond that level already.

I've been contemplating going to the Open University, partly for the
intellectual stimulation and partly to avoid awkwardness when people
ask me about my degree, but haven't really picked a subject yet. I
might not even go for a science.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk