[Gllug] The total cost of ownership to Ealing Council

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Tue Sep 1 10:46:47 UTC 2009

On Tue 01 Sep, Alain Williams wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 10:01:42AM +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
>
> > training. Even councillors were issued with laptops and very strict
> > instructions. The council IT contractors appear to be absolutely petrified
> > at the thought of any Unix compatible system getting anywhere near.
>
> Why ?
> <AvoidRudeSuggestions>
> Not their skill set ?
> </AvoidRudeSuggestions>

   One of my local councillors, John Ross, now also deputy mayor, has four
sons working in IT with Unix compatible systems, and understands what I have
been saying for the last few years. I was working with David L Neil trying
to get something going, but it took over a year to convince Ealing Adult
Learning that we were not talking about computer games. I have spoken to
their regular IT contractor contact and the library service, but they will
not even contemplate running a Knoppix CD themselves. Even the current
council leader Jason Stacey backed away from a Knoppix DVD. I am afraid it
is fear of the unknown, yet they are not willing to find out, although signs
of possible changes are starting to appear.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk