[Gllug] aptitude and source packages

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Thu Apr 15 10:59:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 06:02:44PM +0100, - wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Martin A. Brooks
> <martin at hinterlands.org> wrote:
>
> > What makes you describe the use of aptitude as idiotic?
> >
> > (I'm not attempting to start a flamewar here, I'm genuinely curious).
>
> I'm also curious, because I find exactly the opposite. My biggest
> gripe with apt is the interface. With yum, the command I need to use
> is called "yum", regardless of whether I'm installing a package,
> searching for something or querying the database. I've lost count of
> the number of times I've typed "apt-get search foo". I shouldn't need
> to think about whether I need to be using apt-get, apt-cache or
> apt-file. In git terms, it should be plumbing, hidden behind some
> porcelain. With aptitude, that seemed to have been fixed, and it came
> with better dependency handling to boot.

Aptitude, at least in its current form, is the wrong place to resolve
this.  Look at the size of its codebase and binaries.  At the very
least, the curses package browsing interface should be split out.  What
they're doing now is replicating the road crash that was dselect, more
pondersously and with less excuse.

--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.