[Gllug] Open Source Hardware User Group meeting on Thursday.

Walter Stanish walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com
Wed Apr 28 13:27:27 UTC 2010

> >> Believe me I'd love to feel safe enough to go out and leave my front
> >> door unlocked all day but that's just not the world we live in any more,
> >> if I had no possesions maybe I would feel differently but I do and I owe
> >> it to my clients to take all reasonable steps to ensure the safety of
> >> their stuff too.
> >
> > If you are that paranoid - and there is call for it - consider 'new user
> > profile
> > running in a cut-down, custom-compiled browser in a new virtual machine
> > with highly restricted permissions, accessed via VNC exclusively' as your
> > new default browser....
> >

> Erk! Since when has VNC been a secure technology!?

Well it's true there have been quite a few VNC remote exploits over the
years.
Mostly I just automatically think 'container-based virtualisation' instead
of
VMWare/KVM/etc. by default these days, and therefore a method for GUI export
from the VM is needed.  To me it feels better than opening up X11.  Doesn't
KVM or virtualbox or one of those operate with VNC-powered consoles by
default anyway?

For most situations there's no need for a VMs or SSH tunelling or TOR
> (or sarcasm ;) although all that stuff has it's place and in some
> situations would be sensible to use, if for example you were a tech
> consultant visiting China for example

Ha!  This sort of threat is thrown way out of proportion by the western
media.
I lived there most of last decade, and I'm actually going there on
business in a
couple of weeks.  Needless to say, I won't be taking any extra security
measures.

- Walter