[Gllug] shell-fu to monitor multiple log files simultaneously?

Thomi Richards thomir at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 10:05:48 UTC 2010

Hi,

On 13 April 2010 10:39, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> you could use multitail for getting the same result.

I tried "tail -f file1 file2 file3" - the problem is that tail mixes
the two log file together, which in this case makes it rather
unreadable.

> On the other hand : do you really want to 'eyeball' log files ? why not
> syslog them, get that into a format you can build a report around, and
> just have that update a status page with the bits you are most
> interested in.

Yes, the log files are from an application I am developing - they're
debug logs, rather than application logs (which do go to syslog). I'm
trying to debug some complex interaction between thw two processes,
and I'm finding it hard to do that when tail interlaces the two log
files together (you'd think it should make it easier huh).

Thanks for everyone's help... I'll go download multitail right now!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk