[Gllug] A little OT: On the limits of VLANs

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Fri Apr 30 00:47:59 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 01:20:35AM +0100, general_email wrote:

> Is it possible to add a gnome desktop to an install of Ubuntu Server
> without it dragging all the desktop cruft along too though? I'm still a
> linux newb really (about 18 months since I ditched windows) so I'm a wee
> bit intimidated by Arch and Debian. Having said that I guess you've
> gotta just bite the bullet sometimes?

I would have difficulty believing in the stability and reliability of
Ubuntu server, given the way their Desktop releases are going.

> Apropos of very little, is there a distro where smartmontools _doesn't_
> have postfix as a dependency?

Postfix isn't a direct dependency on Debian or the Debian-derived
distributions that I'm aware of.  mailx is a "recommended" dependency,
which in turn depends on an MTA.  You can stop it being installed by
either passing --no-install-recommends to apt-get as a parameter or
setting APT::Install-Recommends to 0 in apt.conf (which will stop it for
all packages and I believe aptitude also pays attention to that
setting).

Alternatively, you could install one of the lightweight packages which
don't provide a full mail daemon but a simple sendmail drop-in which can
only deliver to a smart hub (esmtp, msmtp, nullmailer etc).  On Debian
and it's clones, those provide mail-transport-agent and satisfy the
recommended dependency.

--
Bruce

I unfortunately do not know how to turn cheese into gold.