[Gllug] Unsubscribing and why

Dean Wilson dwilson at unixdaemon.net
Tue Aug 24 15:59:44 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 04:09:33PM +0100, Henrik Bilar wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 03:45:48PM +0100, Dean Wilson wrote:

While we're sharing logs
http://ibot.rikers.org/%23gllug/20100819.html.gz

Have a look at the first dozen lines and see if you can recognise why
people might not consider this ideal conversation for a LUG.

> Why do you feel that kicking someone off a channel for having an opinion
> that is offensive to someone else is acceptable?

There are lines of what's acceptable, and in this context, after joining
the channel and speaking to the people involved I personally think you
were out of line. But that's not a strong enough reason to kick you - so
you'll notice I didn't.

> The whole point of freedom of expression is that you are allowed to
> say things that other people might find uncomfortable (as long as
> you're not being slanderous).

But a little common sense, empathy and relevance never goes amiss.

  Dean
--
Dean Wilson             http://www.unixdaemon.net
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk