[Gllug] Unsubscribing and why

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Tue Aug 24 16:23:32 UTC 2010

On 24/08/10 16:09, Henrik Bilar wrote:

I too was there at the time and has been pointed generally the centre of
said conversation. Because of the knee jerk response I felt it best to
'keep quiet' however I too feel the need to vent my spleen.

>>> people
>>> kind
>>> that

1. Nobody 'Flamed' anyone because at the time everyone was doing the
nodding donkey rhubarb rhubarb agreement, interestingly you stated that
you had, to use your words, "Put it about a bit" I presume that was an
effort to ingratiate yourself in, as Henrik says, a conversation it was
patently obvious you was already briefed about?

2. You then went on to tell us that you used to be a Chav and now have a
phd which I imagine is a demonstration that even a Chav can be a
professor. The point of note here is the word "used" obviously you are
no longer a Chav I wonder why?

> Before you joined, we were chatting about what was happening around
> dick_turpin's area (west mids), and his experiences of teenagers getting
> pregnant and subsequently getting council houses etc. I, like many others,
> think this is outrageous in the extreme and a complete waste of tax payer
> money and human resources, taking away resources from those who, in my
> mind, perhaps deserve them more.

What I was saying is that three quarters of the females that attended
the same class as my daughter (Who is now 18) was either pregnant or has
children one of whom is on her 3rd child having conceived the first one
at age 14.

> *I* feel slightly offended that you felt the need to join the channel when
> you knew what the topic was about already, get angry and leave and *then*
> post this onto the list, painting us out like some fascist misogynic mob,
> especially as you gave no reference to our "wrong doings".

I second Henriks sentiments as I stated earlier when I saw the initial
email I was angry and devastated that you had painted a false picture
for maximum support effect, you gave no details only highly charged
keywords totally out of context.

>> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 03:45:48PM +0100, Dean Wilson wrote:
>>> After a quick look it seems that none of the GLLUG admins have ops in
>>> the
>>> channel at the moment so kicking them isn't going to happen quickly.
>
> Why do you feel that kicking someone off a channel for having an opinion
> that is offensive to someone else is acceptable? Better then to discuss it
> rather than silencing someone and brushing the issue under the carpet.

Not that it is an 'Us and them' situation but I find it strange that
people who have never (As far as I am aware) visited or participated in
#gllug feel they have the right to say or even suggest people are
/kicked I wonder what would happen if #gllug members started issuing
demands about the Gllug mailing list?

> Freedom of expression is utterly useless if you are only allowed to
> express opinions that everybody agrees with. The whole point of freedom of
> expression is that you are allowed to say things that other people might
> find uncomfortable (as long as you're not being slanderous).

Huzzah to that

> We are not some young kids with nothing better to do than bait people in
> an IRC channel. We're all mostly working adults, and we have the right to
> our opinions, just like the OP has the right to hers.

Nope I shall be 49 in a few days time.

>> If any channel I am in degenerates due to trolls and their bait
>> I take the easy option and leave - much better for my blood pressure.
>> Or I simply use the /ignore command
>
> Sound advice!

Agreed

What he said :-)