[Gllug] Disk Recovery

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Mon Aug 23 06:55:34 UTC 2010

On Wed 18 Aug, david at gbenet.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Whilst backing up my system to a 500Gb drive - it failed. I have since returned
> it. Now for the bad news.
>
> I'd copied something like 60Gb of data to my Ubuntu 9.10 system. It had completed
> a software upgrade - and on the next boot - failed. I thought that I may recover
> by reinstalling and then reading my hard disk. No luck there.
>
> Then I thought I could do a disk recovery of some laptop hard drives. So I set
> about searching and installing every linux disk recovery programme that's out there.
>
> All proved to be useless at reading ext3 drives. Not one would read and recovery.
> So the question is - is there a disk recovery programme - that creates a bootable
> CD that is capable of reading linux partitions?
>
> Regards,
>
> David

   If the discs are still OK why not connect each in turn to an external USB
adapter and read it using any standard Linux box? I have external adapters
for full size or laptop IDE and SATA. (all are HiPoint, I am in west London,
North Acton).

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk