[Gllug] Kubuntu 8.04 & a decent Video card

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sun Feb 7 15:59:04 UTC 2010

Geo wrote:
> Hi,
>  I have a petium dual core on a Gigabyte ga-g31m-es21 motherboard with a Gig
> of ram.runnng Kubuntu 8.04 (which I have no real wish to change) however the
> on board Intel graphics leaves a lot to be desired.
> I am looking to upgrade to another graphics card (the mobo has  PCIe or plain
> PCI slots.)
>
>  My understanding is that there is no real support yet for PCIe, is this
> correct?
>  Can anyone recommend a good card to buy if ithere is support ?
> Thanks

Dunno about that, my GFX card is PCIe and works very well.

I too got fed up of the lousy integrated Intel GFX drivers, they seem to
be getting worse over time, the new X is a dogs dinner if you ask me - I
can't even boot karmic into a gui on several of my systems (though the
displays I get are often quite psychedelic!)

Anyway, I solved my problems by getting an Nvidia 9500 series PCIe card
- cheap as chips and now Compiz flies and Google Earth doesn't cause
kernel panics any more, joy!

Item: Inno3D 9500GT 512MB DDR2 DVI VGA HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card
Qty: 1Cost: 33.04

As far as I can tell all Nvidia cards of a given series are much of a
muchness (all the same chips) so I don't think the manufacturer is that
important, of course if anyone know better please chip in (no pun
intended!).

Cheers,

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk