[Gllug] Unicode input

Walter Stanish walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com
Fri Feb 19 09:27:17 UTC 2010

> What's the approved way to enter text with arbitrary
> unicode code points into an X11 application these days?

The best is generally 'scim' for standard Unicode input
(ie: any other keyboard layout / language).  I use this
for Simplified and Traditional Chinese and Thai quite
successfully.

If you need to frequently input less common characters,
then typically you will rely on your editing environment
(eg: OpenOffice, LyX, LaTeX, vi...), many of which have
either macros or a graphical popup ala. Windows
'character maps' that facilitates browsing and entering
glyphs from a specific font that you select.

If you really need further-optimised input, then you can
Use X11 settings to program custom key combinations to
give you the characters you need.

- Walter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk