[Gllug] Cheapish NAS.

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Fri Feb 19 08:14:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 07:13 +0000, John Hearns wrote:
> I guess the first step is to establish what is needed - how long
> should data be retained for, should they have an off-site place to
> store data in case of a fire, or do they have a small safe on site.

Keeping backups onsite is always a massive error. In the event of fire
it will lead to the collapse of the whole business if the data is at all
important as you cannot re-enter the site of a fire for days, weeks or
months after the fire and you wont even be able to check to see if your
fire safe withstood the heat until then.

Backups should always be kept offsite. If the data is important enough
to back it up then it's important enough to ensure you can gain access
to it quickly in the event that access to the original data is lost due
to fire, flood or any other disaster which prevents access to the site.

Jason

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk