[Gllug] Wiping free space.

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 1 23:41:06 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 12:25 AM, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:
> On 29 Dec 2009, JLMS uttered the following:
>> If you do something like that in your / filesystem, then yes, you will
>> see all kind of weird behaviour.
>
> Really? What? The only things that spring to mind are that /etc/mtab
> can't be kept up to date if there is absolutely no space free, and
> /sbin/ldconfig will fail, so newly-installed shared libraries won't be
> picked up. (I'm assuming here a / containing only those things which
> *must* be on /: in particular I'm assuming /var is a separate
> filesystem, as are /home and /tmp.)

You assume far too much.

The installation standards that you, or even the majority of seasoned
SAs, consider sane are by no means unanimous.

There are pros and cons for every way of doing things, suffice to say
that a sizeable amount of people prefer to have only one filesystem in
/ and dump everything there, I will not take sides about that way of
doing things, the fact is that one will find many machines installed
that way.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk