[Gllug] Gllug Digest, Vol 78, Issue 56

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Fri Jan 1 18:15:29 UTC 2010

On Fri 01 Jan, pmgazz wrote:

> I was approached recently by a school near Brighton (UK) who wanted to
> sort out their dire CMS. Looked into it, seems their local education
> authority required them to use a specific Microsoft Certified supplier
> -- rarely seen such comprehensively enforced lock-in in my life and I
> get the impression that LEAs often enforce this kind of lock-in.

   It is often worse than that because most school IT facilities are
supplied as part of contracts that specifically forbid any hardware or
software changes not provided by the contractors. A friend was asked to
provide additional facilities for a school, with a number of computers in
an additional classroom, with its own cabling and server, to be totally
independant of the system provided by their regular supplier, as the only
possible alternative.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk