[Gllug] printer shops

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sat Jan 9 12:33:18 UTC 2010

On 8 Jan 2010, at 23:19, David Damerell wrote:
> On Friday, 8 Jan 2010, Peter Corlett wrote:
>> We already have a much simpler solution: we find these dangerous
>> nutters, hopefully before they kill somebody, and take their driving
>> licence away until they have learned how to safely operate a
>> car.
> Where do you live, where this procedure is carried out? Because in the
> UK, where most of us live, motor vehicles remain the principal cause
> of untimely death.

No they're not.

Over the decades, we've introduced more and more safety features to cars, and we've now reached the point of diminishing returns at a fairly steady 3,000-ish fatalities a year. Obviously, we'd all prefer this figure to be zero, but it's a reasonably acceptable figure given the massive benefit that motor vehicles give to society.

Meanwhile, heart disease and strokes continue to kill tens of thousands of people each year. Much of this is brought on by unhealthy lifestyles. Again, there's no real technological fix: people just have to take responsibility for their own actions and put that pie down.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk