[Gllug] Confusion about the "Sender" field in email headers.

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Mon Nov 29 18:44:04 UTC 2010

On Sunday, 28 Nov 2010, Progga wrote:
>server is sending an email on someone's behalf.  For example, this mail will
>carry my gmail address in the From field although it is coming from the gllug
>server.  So the Sender field contains gllug's return address and the email
>will go to the inbox instead of the spam box.
>From: bar at gmail.com
>To: foo at gmail.com
>Sender: bounce at example.net

Both of these show Sender: working in the same way, the way it is
intended to work. The Sender: field is intended to indicate who
actually sent the mail, as you say.

>These type of emails sometimes end up in the inbox and sometimes in the spam
>box in gmail.  So I am wondering what is wrong with these.

Your question seems to have more to do with gmail's spam filtering
than the use of the Sender: field.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Gloucesterday, November.