[Gllug] Recommendations for servers

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Thu Nov 25 18:24:35 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-25 at 11:45 +0000, j.roberts wrote:

> May I ask, which models/series of HP one has had difficulties with? I'll
> look into sticking them on my 'avoid' list?

HP ProLiant DL120 is a model that has recently given me many sleepless
nights, and proved to be a very false economy.

We were recommended them as being reliable and sensibly priced, but we
found when we bought 40 of them, that several (can't exactly remember
the figure  - five or six) didn't fire up on arrival.  This was found to
be due to a "faulty batch" of power supplies.

Later, we also had disk failures under warranty, and getting them
replaced was difficult.  Two of them had faulty network I/O, and several
others developed sporadic faults that seemed to be thermal....

The replacement machines (Supermicro 1015B) were more expensive, but
amply demonstrated that "you get what you pay for"!

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk